Sunday, February 10, 2013

We Are Small

Today I was thinking about what it is that makes us feel so small. Our students, mostly still egotistical children, don't conceptualize the greater world and universe that exists out there. I like to take a moment each year with my students and discuss the concept of other people, other cultures, and the fact that our lives are quite small in the scheme of things, and that we must make every effort to become productive members of society, and to learn to co-exist with others.

But yeah, it's hard to get this concept across in a simple little lecture, so I like to show these amazing, world-view-defining videos. So, for tonight, enjoy:

Ascent, by Brian Eno: This amazing little piece of music that is accompanied with photos of the earth. Its 4 minutes really put me at ease and show me how small we really are.


Pale Blue Dot, by Carl Sagan: If you want to prove that we're a speck of dust out there in the universe, here you go:




No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be moderated, please stay on topic and refrain from using profanity. Spam will simply be ignored.