Monday, May 13, 2013

End of the School Year: A Time To Regain Teacher Sanity

The last day of school is now 9 school days away (May 24th). That's right, summer is almost here! This time of year is very relieving, and a little sad, for many in the teaching profession. If you've had a great year, it's melancholy  If you've had a terrible year, it's joyous, but either way, you're tired, and you're ready for a break.

But, whether you teach kindergarten or 5th grade or senior English, the end of the year can be a whirlwind. You'll undoubtedly have a checkout list to go through, depending upon your school site and district. If they're going to work on the floors or carpets in your room over the summer, you'll be moving out, or at least getting things ready. If you're like me, and you've been in the same room for awhile (I'm finishing up my third consecutive year in the same room, I've been in three different rooms total in my career, all of which I've taught at one school), you might be lucky and only have to put things away for safe keeping, and possibly just put everything up against the walls so that the floor can be cleaned.

Yes, I'm one of the lucky ones. But, I still have a lot to do, you will too. Take it from me new teachers, use your students, they love helping anyways. Have them help put away books, clean bulletin boards and walls, and help you box up things like your desk and closet. If you're changing assignments, you'll have a lot of work to do. Anytime I've been asked to change rooms, it's a TON of work. I can't imagine the work in changing buildings, but I don't plan on going anywhere else anytime soon, so I'm not too worried.

The end of the year is exciting, but there really is so much to accomplish in those final days. Just keep your head up, because a chance to regain your sanity is closing in quickly!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be moderated, please stay on topic and refrain from using profanity. Spam will simply be ignored.