Thursday, November 29, 2012

Reading Interest Survey (Best Title I Could Think Of)

About four and a half years ago, I posted an interesting "Reading Interest Survey," a post that was titled Reading Interest Survey (I know, it was one of those interesting titles that just grabs your interest).
I was looking through some old posts, and decided I would take the survey again. This is one of many iterations of interest surveys that can be done with students to get some valuable, qualitative information that can help you better understand the needs, wants, and learning styles of your students.

Here are my responses. You can also click the link I have provided to be taken to a .doc version of these questions that is ready for printing: READING INTEREST SURVEY .DOC FORMAT

1. Do you like to read? I enjoy reading very much. I don't read as much for pleasure as I would like, especially during the school year, but during vacations I end up reading quite a bit.

2. How much time do you spend reading? During the school year, not much. In fact, I'll sometimes find myself going months without reading for pleasure. When I find something I'm interested in, and have time, I'll read an entire book in one sitting.

3. What are some of the books you have read lately? I just finished reading The City of Ember to my students, and we are currently reading Holes. Personally, I am working on Lucifer's Hammer, an old sci-fi classic. I'm looking for some zombie stuff so I can get back into that genre.

4. If you are going to buy a book, where would you go? My personal favorite is the used book store here in Las Cruces called Coas. It's a huge used book store that takes trade ins for credit. I can go in there and buy a basket full of books for a few dollars.

5. Do you ever get books from the school library? I'm a teacher, so yes. Usually not books for reading, but instead I usually check out books to assist with research in the classroom.

6. About how many books do you own? I have about 250 books at home, and about 600 on my shelf at school (not counting all the textbooks/dictionaries/etc.).

7. What are some books you would like to own? I REALLY want to get my hands on the entire collection of The Walking Dead comics.

8. The kind of reading I like best: Zombies, history, science fiction.

9. Do you like to read the news, either online or in the newspaper? Yes, I usually read the news either on my cell phone or on my tablet. There's a free local newspaper called the Bulletin that I like to read as well.

10. What parts of the newspaper do you like? Columnists, headlines, sports, comic strips, politics, current events, and editorials

11. What are your favorite television programs? The Walking Dead (I bet you didn't see that coming), Jeopardy, King of the Hill, Open Court, Breaking Bad.

12. How much time do you spend watching television? During the school year, probably 2-3 hours a night, during the summer, probably a lot more than that.

13. What is your favorite magazine? Wired

14. Do you have a hobby? If so, what is it? Yes, reading.

15. What are the two best movies you have ever seen? The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford and Inception.

16. Who are your favorite entertainers and/or movie stars? Matt Damon movies are always awesome, Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio makes good movies, and believe it or not, Brad Pitt, his movies are always good.

17. When you were little, did you enjoy having someone read aloud to you? Yes, I did. I still do.

18. List topics, subjects, etc. which you might like to read about: Zombie fiction, I love the stuff and can't find it. The Holocaust, I am immersed in the genre, and am always trying to find more.

19. What does the word 'reading' mean to you? Reading means interacting with language without speaking, with written words. That's the simple definition I guess.

20. Say anything else that you would like to say about reading: Reading opens door, it changes world views, and it has the power to shape lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be moderated, please stay on topic and refrain from using profanity. Spam will simply be ignored.