Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Blogger Static Pages: I Used Up My Limit, Now What?

Anybody else out there who blogs in Blogger, you've surely come upon the greatest thing ever, the static pages. I use these static pages to post my subject specific unit pages of resources and lessons (they are linked to in the right side bar). They're great because each page acts as a stand alone web page, separate from the daily postings of the blog.

When I started my blog, I was blissfully unaware that there was a limit on the amount of pages a blog could have. I just figured I'd make the 100 or so pages I need to finish my vision all right here in this blog. I found out yesterday that there is a limit, and that limit is 20 (counting the home page).

So what now? I had a few options at this point. I could just start posting these unit and lessons pages as posts, because there's no limit on those (well there is, but it's something like 10,000, so I'm not concerned). The only problem there is I like having them separate from the blog itself.

I'm sure there are many work around, but the most simple I found is this: Make another blog.

One Google account can have up to 100 blogs. Do the math, that's up to 2,000 static pages. I made a second blog, and am working to make it identical in appearance to this blog (same back ground, header images, ad placements, etc.), and do 20 more pages there. This is the most simple work around I have found, and I should be publishing my first static page from there sometime tomorrow, and I'm confident it will have the same look as the static pages here, minus a few things. First, I won't have the same ability to move viewers through to the rest of my blog, so I'll need to make sure they have a way to reach "home" (the main page of this blog). Once I have that going, I'm sure it will work out fine.

If anybody has found something else that works better, I would love to hear about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments on this blog will be moderated, please stay on topic and refrain from using profanity. Spam will simply be ignored.